An ambitious plan to create a new community on the north-western edge of Littlehampton, covering roughly 33 hectares of land.
This project had outline planning consent for 600 dwellings with the land purchase split between two different clients. Our brief was to provide master planning designs and submissions for individual parcels and then create working drawings for the development.
The site consisted of open fields – an uninspiring, featureless landscape that lacked character, so we set out to create an engaging and attractive environment with a number of character areas created by varied streets, formal squares, boulevards, and mews with primary and secondary accesses. We further enhanced the design through the use of materials and architectural detailing in each area.
The project needed to include:
- 600 dwellings comprising of apartments, terraced and detached houses
- 30% affordable housing
- New employment floor space
- New local facilities and open space areas
- New bus and cycle routes
- 5 distinct character areas
What we did
Our first task was to create a masterplan sketch of the entire development to incorporate our clients’ requirements. From this, they could carry out the viability study and determine the correct land split between them. We then prepared individual planning applications for each parcel over a period of time.
Once planning had been achieved, we provided:
- Preparation, design, submission and negotiation of planning applications
- Preparation of full working drawings and co-ordination of 3rd party information
- As principle consultant attended team, planning and site meetings
- Coordination with local authority building control and the NHBC